COM 100 Summer 2014

Functional Perspective on Group Decision Making

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:49 am

According to Hirokawa and Gouran’s theory of Functional Perspective on Group Decision Making, as long as group members “care about [an] issue, are reasonably intelligent, and face a challenging task that calls for more facts, new ideas, or clear thinking” group interaction has a positive effect on the final decision. There are four requisite functions that making up the “Group Decision Making” process: analysis of the problem, goal setting, identification of alternatives, and evaluation of positive and negative characteristics.

This theory is interesting, because it provides a contrasting idea to age old adages such as, “If you want something done, do it yourself,” or, “too many cooks spoil the broth.” In my fraternity, I have had many experiences that validate Hirokawa and Gouran’s theory. Our executive council is made up of twelve or so people and I could not imagine making the decisions that we make without having each individual’s input. In no way does the production or efficiency get muddled, because we all care about the issues, are reasonably intelligent, and are willing to face the challenging tasks that are at hand. I’m also social chair for my fraternity and if I did not delegate the planning of parties or set-up of parties with my peers then nothing would ever completely get done.