Summer Entrepreneurial Experiences

RLM Associates Week 8

Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:09 am

This was my final week at RLM for the summer. Leaving the company was bittersweet as everyone I worked with was not only talented but supportive in all ways when it came to my learning and growth. The experience was better than what I could have imagined and I learned more than I had ever expected. Right from the beginning I was given more responsibility than I was expecting, and I was expected to dive right in. This made me nervous the first few days but it forced me to adjust quickly and efficiently, this alone was something I’m grateful for getting experience with. Every new project was addressed in this same fashion and being thrown into the middle of each company’s strategy over and over again allowed me to gain confidence each time. This unexpected additional responsibility also helped me to learn a number of skills in different areas. It also helped teach me how to balance more than one project at a time while still giving each the needed amount of attention.

In addition to all of this, working with so many companies that specialized in different areas allowed me to experience the ways in which each chose to start and build their new companies. More importantly, I was able to see first hand how a software company’s path differs from an author’s path and so on. This differentiation was across the board, from marketing to funding. I was also able to compare how the strategies of these start-up companies compare in a more general sense to long-established companies.

This internship allowed me to expand my knowledge in a number of areas while doing real world work. Working directly with both clients and the CEO of a company was something I wasn’t expecting. It did however, teach me a great deal more than I was expecting as well. I am incredibly thankful for everyone who assisted in making this internship not only an option but an incredible experience.