F.M. Kirby Experiential Learning Stipend Recipient Blogs

So Much to Learn, So Little Time 7.22.18- Payton Calvert

My internship has continued to progress positively this week. As I wind down my work on letter writing, I have some time freed up that I have been able to allocate towards learning more about the school. I am fascinated with the concept of an education system and this opportunity at GSF has enabled me to study a foreign school system. The grades are separated contrarily to the US and the methods of teaching are unique to this culture and its expectations. I have been able to observe variant levels and been able to see the progress each level makes in developing their intellectual skills. The teachers have all been extremely welcoming to me, allowing me to observe how they operate their classrooms.

I have also continued to learn from the social workers by shadowing their work. This week, one of my highlights was the Family Life Group graduation. I was able to attend the ceremony as the GSF Childcare program acknowledged the dedication the family members displayed through the duration of this program. The social workers began traveling to the village back in March for the inaugural class and have continued devotedly teaching ever since. One of the most powerful aspects were the testimonies given by the graduates concerning how they feel this class has changed them. Not only has it helped equip them to better care for their children, but it has also shown them hope in Jesus and the power His love can have if we allow Him to work through us. This truth transcends into every aspect of their lives and a few testified to how this has already begun to produce fruit.

During a long discussion with my mentor this week where she was enlightening me about some cultural practices, she helped me consider some of the fundamental differences between childcare and advocacy in Uganda versus the US. One conclusion that I was able to draw was this: there is no easy, one-size fits all solution to the problem of broken homes. Every culture introduces new roadblocks and benefits to giving the countries children their best shots at developing into healthy adults and each child should be dealt with through a personal relationship. This conversation did highlight my lack of in-depth knowledge about the American Foster Care system and made me keenly aware of my desire to learn more. I hope to gain perspective and knowledge in the near future concerning social work as I feel increasingly drawn to this area.

calvpe16 • July 22, 2018

Previous Post

Next Post