Week #4 – Research and CPR

Baptist was created in Winston-Salem when the will of a President of R.J. Reynolds gave about $750,000 in order to move the medical school from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem, NC. North Carolina Baptist hospital was an 88-bed community hospital in 1923, but merged with the Wake Forest School of Medicine whenever it moved to Winston-Salem in 1941. They have now expanded to many other hospitals, such as Davie and Wilkes Hospitals. I am proud to be from North Carolina and proud to be going to school at Wake Forest University because of this great care and expansion.

One highlight from my week this week at my internship in the Emergency Department was getting to see CPR on a patient for the first time. He had come into the ED by ambulance and was in cardiac arrest. Two different nurses were alternating doing compressions, while the pharmacist was pushing epinephrine. It was very cool to see the whole care team working together in order to save someone’s life. I am not sure what ended up happening to this patient, but I am sure that the care team at Baptist worked as hard as they could to save this man. I am proud to be an intern doing research in the ED at Baptist. Another highlight of my week was realizing that we had gotten 23 people enrolled in just my study alone in three weeks, which is a huge accomplishment. I am looking forward to the weeks to come.

mcnekr15 • June 25, 2018