F.M. Kirby Experiential Learning Stipend Recipient Blogs

Week 8

At this point in my life, it’s become clear. To sum up my job in two words, I would say: professional Googler. Not a negative at all, but the amount of time I spend on Google researching media contacts, client outreach, and social media influencers is truly mind boggling.

We recently had our holiday party to showcase our clients who are ideal for gifts (i.e. cheese subscription box!!!!). Why would we have a holiday party in July? Well, it turns out that most magazines and websites start compiling their gift guides NOW to be ready by November and December. Who would have guessed that Christmas in July actually made sense for once?

What amazed me most at the party was how all of my coworkers knew, and were often friends with, media contacts and writers from huge magazines such as Food & Wine and Martha Stewart Living. I obviously had zero clue who I was talking to and had to hope they weren’t too important. The PR and media world is huge, and yet people make a point to keep good contacts because they can always come in handy later. I didn’t realize how important networking really was until this event, and will definitely make a concerted effort to actually remember the people I meet in the future.

dattkm14 • July 18, 2017

Previous Post

Next Post