1

Sensory Overload, Advocacy, and Coffee

As I write this, I am drinking coffee in the hip Dupont Circle Bookstore, Kramerbooks and Afterwords Café. Is this moment one of the highlights of my week? Yes. It is the perfect place for reflection on another week at a place where I continue to learn things that shape my perspective and my story.

I am currently working on one of the main projects of my internship this summer, the interpreter audit. It involves calling 86 Ayuda-contracted interpreters and asking them about their credentials and various training experiences. The interpreter audit does not serve the sole purpose of ensuring that Ayuda has the most qualified interpreters. Through my conversations with interpreters, I am also researching trainings that teach interpreters to work with a trauma-informed approach similar to a training offered by Ayuda called Breaking Silence so that we can get as many interpreters trained in this way as possible.

I have been learning so much. From my discussions with interpreters, I have learned that many interpreters play an essential role in helping immigrants tell sometimes very difficult stories. Some interpreters I spoke with said that they have worked with people who have survived torture and other human rights violations that may have resulted in severe psychological harm.

I’ve learned that advocacy is just as important as providing direct services, especially when it comes to creating long-term solutions and change. On Tuesday, I attended a panel discussion at the DC Bar called “Giving Teeth to the Language Access Act of 2004”. Speakers on the panel told stories of agencies and institutions that have failed to provide language access to immigrants on numerous accounts without facing consequences. For example, even after the Office of Human Rights investigates and finds a blatant failure to provide language access that may result in loss of something as important as medical benefits, they are unable to fine the guilty institution, therefore there is no incentive for change. It is an injustice to be wrongly denied benefits because of poor communication. For this reason, it is important for groups like Ayuda to advocate for changes such as improving ESL curriculum in D.C. schools and the ability to punish those who deprive people of language access.

I have been surprised by the very large network of contacts in the nonprofit world. The nonprofit world is made of people who are all passionate about a particular cause and if you can find people with a common drive and interest, it can be very powerful when the time comes to push for hard policy changes.

Two highlights of my week were visiting the Smithsonian National Zoo with my roommate from Wake Forest and her family and visiting the Hirshhorn Museum. I also loved getting lunch with my coworkers from food trucks on K Street. There are so many things to see, do, taste, and hear. Here’s to sensory overload!

– Sophie Leruth (Class of 2019)

lerusm15 • June 25, 2017

Comments

1. Ashley Graham Phipps June 29, 2017 - 8:41 pm Reply

I love going to Kramerbooks when I’m in DC and the Dupont Circle area.

You also need to check out the bakery that is one block from there and beside of Circa. Speaking of Circa, they have AMAZING Sunday Brunches.