F.M. Kirby Experiential Learning Stipend Recipient Blogs

1

Just Another (Great) Week

Doug talking to a bunch of happy donors before Sneak Peek

Hmmm…exciting things I did this week include running a music rehearsal with the full band as the only SM team-member in the room and seeing the Tony in person! I’ll get to take a picture with it next week at a shindig that DTC is hosting for staff and donors. In not so great news, there’s some sort of cold/sinus problem going around among the cast. People seem to be taking turns being sick. I guess it’s better that it happens now, in rehearsal, instead of during the run of the show. We presented a snippet of the show at “Sneak Peek,” a preview for the donors. They LOVED it!

The set, designed by John Lee Beatty, as of today

Dallas Theater Center provides positively the most supportive environment in which to work. Chris (Friar Tuck) is normally Education Coordinator for DTC, but, on the encouragement of his colleagues in the education department, auditioned for and got cast in Hood. When Kevin accepted the Tony on Sunday, he emphasized the organization’s commitment to diversity. It shows when you walk into the office! DTC has a policy requiring managers to interview at least one person of color when a position opens up.

Nothing makes Eric happier than Diet Coke

This week’s highlight was when Chris found out that I’m just a rising sophomore in college – he told me he thought I had already graduated! He said he assumed I was out of school because I seem to know a lot more than most college students. Another good thing this week was celebrating Eric’s birthday. Nobody deserves a bigger celebration than him, the most wonderful stage manager I’ve had the privilege of learning from!

Keep an eye out for the cast of Hood at this Monday’s Texas Rangers’ game. They’ll be singing the national anthem!

Madeleine Ash • June 16, 2017

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Ashley Graham Phipps June 20, 2017 - 8:36 pm Reply

How exciting that you all won a Tony! You will have to take lots of pictures and share them next week!