A Dream Come True: Living & Interning in Washington DC

Hey everyone! My name is Daniella Feijoo and I’m a rising junior at Wake Forest University majoring in Politics and International & Spanish, with a minor in Latin American Studies. On campus I am a member of the WFU marching band, The Spirit of the Old Gold and Black, and I play flute/piccolo in the wind ensemble! This upcoming school year, I am excited to be a mentor for the El Buen Pastor Latino Mentoring Initiative as well as to study abroad in Chile and Argentina in the spring of 2018!

This summer, I am so grateful to have the opportunity to intern at Running Start, a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C. that focuses on empowering high school and college women to learn political and leadership skills. Thank you to the providers of the Kirby grant for making this experience possible for me and so many other students. I am looking forward to meeting young women interested in politics and running for office in the future. Another exciting part about living in D.C. for the summer is that there is a large alumni base in D.C.! I plan to meet up with Ms. Jennifer Richwine who heads up the Wake Washington operation to discuss my career goals and to network with alumni that work in nonprofit organizations or on the Hill. I have wanted to live and work in D.C. ever since the first time I visited with the Junior National Young Leadership Conference in 5th grade. These next two months are going to be a wonderful opportunity to explore the city and make connections with other students and people interested in motivating women to run for office.

Yesterday was my first day in the city! My roommate from Wake, Sophie, and I walked to the Jefferson Memorial, the National Mall and the Renwick Gallery! I can’t wait for the incredible opportunities and adventures ahead in this awesome city.

Stay tuned for more posts!

Thanks for reading and Go Deacs!

Daniella Feijoo

Class of 2019

feijdm15 • June 4, 2017