F.M. Kirby Experiential Learning Stipend Recipient Blogs

Leading Up To It All

Hi everyone! My name is Kellen Datta, and I am a rising senior at Wake Forest. I’m a Politics major with minors in Latin American Studies and History. My summer internship is at RVD Communications, a PR and social media firm that focuses largely on the hospitality industry, with the bulk of our clients being restaurants, bars, and other food and beverage businesses. I will be living and working in Williamsburg, a section of Brooklyn, which you most likely know as the most hipster place ever.

I’m a little delayed in writing this because I just finished my first week, but I knew going into this internship that I had zero experience in PR. I didn’t even really know what it fully meant, what went into it, or anything about who did it. However, I love food and writing, so it seemed like a great opportunity to pursue this internship. I know I’m already in way over my head (I haven’t been to NYC since I was 13), have no idea where anything is, or what anyone is talking about when they say Midtown, Queens, or FiDi. Nevertheless, I hope to discover if PR could become a great career for me. I love everything about how social media is curated, how it encourages interaction and dialogue, and its profound effect on encouraging participation.

As much as I love writing, social media, and food, I won’t lie, my main goal of the summer is to meet all my favorite food Instagrammers that I follow in New York. @Brunchboys, if you’re reading this (I really hope you’re not), let’s get brunch. Here’s to a great summer!

dattkm14 • May 23, 2017

Previous Post

Next Post