Week 3: Trade Association

The National Waste and Recycling Organization is a trade association in the waste and recycling industry. They have thousands of members, and those members are companies in the industry (such as Waste Management, Republic, Waste Connections) and individual people in those companies. The NWRA conducts service to the members by advancing policies that benefit the solid waste industry and improve the quality of life for all Americans. Its advocacy work focuses on the legislative and regulatory objectives of its members across a variety of important solid waste issues. A large aspect of the NWRA is providing education to its members about industry specifics such as truck driver safety and landfill regulations. Its biggest event of the year is WasteExpo, where the NWRA has booths hosting groups like the Women’s Council and the Future Industry Leaders Alliance for networking and membership purposes. The NWRA’s main purpose at WasteExpo is instructing the companies in the industry about recent issues, topics, and policies in an educational manner. NWRA members also have booths and are present to showcase their latest innovations and business information. The NWRA gives out awards on recycling, solid waste, and etc to companies and individuals who demonstrate a keen knowledge and betterment of the industry to encourage other positive improvements.

The office in D.C. is fairly small. There are 14 people present, 15 including me. NWRA regional managers and part-time staff stay offsite and only come into the office for occasional business. My direct supervisors are Kelsey and Spencer, who coordinate Marketing & Communications, and then Jessica oversees the entire department. All of the office employees have only been here for 4 years or less, except 3 who have been here for 10+ years. The people here are very kind and encourage me to learn all about the industry, welcoming questions and help on projects.

The highlight of my week is when I was sent to Things Remembered to get the Recycling Awards engraved with the names of the respective winners. The place was in Fashion Center, Pentagon City and the NWRA paid my uber to get there. Once I was finished with the assignment, I was done with work so I got to shop in the big, beautiful mall. But being on the errand made me feel like I was contributing to my company, since I had to make a lot of decisions that would impact the recipients of the awards. I feel like I am fulfilling relevant duties that truly help the NWRA.

berrcl13 • June 3, 2016