Week 3: Center for Family Violence Prevention Programs

The Center for Family Violence Prevention has a mission to “break the cycle of domestic violence while enhancing individual self-sufficiency and promoting healthy family relationships.” The C4FVP offers thirteen different programs. The programs include New Directions (or the Safe House), Court Services, The Family Center, Adult Outpatient Therapy, Children’s Counseling, CATCH/Teen Outreach, Abuse in Later Life, GREAT/Abuser Treatment Program, Community Education, Hispanic Outreach, Parenting Classes, My Sister’s Closet (a consignment store in which the proceeds help victims of DV in the community), My Sister’s Attic, as well as a 24 hour crisis hotline. I work in the main office which hosts, Court Services, Counseling Programs, Hispanic Outreach, Abuse in Later life, and Community Education. My immediate supervisor is in charge of Hispanic Outreach for Court Services. She has worked at the Center longer than the other two victim’s advocates I work closely with. The second victim’s advocate, actually interned with the C4FVP when she was in college. The third advocate was hired a few months ago and now says that this is her dream job. All of the advocates enjoy the work they do but have mentioned it being difficult at times. A few highlights of my past week include helping two clients file a DVPO, learning how to work the front desk, and organizing the cell phone program, which provides phones that can be used to call 911 to clients in need.

scalam14 • May 29, 2016