Heard it Here

Wake Forest Students Cover Downtown Winston-Salem

Downtown Winston-Salem Gets a Residential Boost

Mariam Gomaa, a medical student at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, just moved from Chicago, Ill. to Winston-Salem, N.C., and had very little time to find a place to live. Gomaa was searching for a place within walking distance to restaurants, stores and attractions and then she found Plant 64.

“I saw Plant 64 online and since there was very little availability elsewhere downtown, I decided to give it a chance,” Gomaa said. “It ended up being a great decision.”

Some residents have decided to live in these loft apartment homes because of either the scarce availability of other residential places downtown or its prime location.

“Primarily for me, I guess it was the location and being downtown,” Dan Bertrams, a tenant, said. “I am also working very close and the amenities were also very enticing.” Bertrams works at 525@Vine, located in the Innovation Quarter.

Plant 64 is one of six residential buildings currently under construction downtown, according to the June 2014 Downtown Winston-Salem housing statistics. Chris Harrison, a developer and former professional football player, bought the R.J Reynolds tobacco buildings and renovated them into Plant 64.

“There is a demand for units and the current places that have existing units are sold out,” Jason Thiel, president of the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership, said. “It is a classic example of supply and demand.”

Plant 64 consists of five different buildings and houses a variety of amenities. When construction is finished, tenants will be able to use the salt-water pool, outdoor theater and bistro, roof terrace with a grill and more. Tenants have the option of choosing from three different plans: one bedroom, two bedrooms or three bedrooms. All the loft apartment homes have kitchens with granite counter-tops and washer and dryers are included. Prices range from $885-$1110 for one bedroom, $1280-$1420 for two bedrooms and $1525-$1725 for three bedrooms, according to Robyn Umfress, the property manager.

Plant 64 has already reached 24 percent of its occupancy capacity since its opening July 1, according to Umfress. There are still some residential lofts under construction but Plant 64 will be finished by mid-December.

“It is a modern apartment complex and a luxury way of living,” Irina O’Hara, a tenant, said. “I thought it was really interesting. There are huge ceilings and huge windows and I like it a lot.”

“It is brand new. We like the style. It is modern and the price is right,” Charlie Escobar, a resident, said.

While Plant 64 offers housing in the heart of downtown, there are some concerns about safety.

On Oct. 18, a man was charged with one count each of second-degree rape and second-degree sex offense. The incident occurred at Fourth Street and Linden Street, right across the street from Plant 64.

“Honestly, I’d probably be nervous about safety no matter where I lived, but it’s definitely scary and sad to hear that someone was raped across the street,” Gomaa said. “I am lucky to live with my husband and have great neighbors who would also keep an eye out for me … that sense of community definitely makes me feel safer.”

Downtown Winston-Salem has seen a boom in housing buildings over the last decade. Since 2005, 880 units have been built and there are currently 612 units under construction, according to the June Downtown Winston-Salem housing statistics.

With more residential buildings popping up, downtown businesses might see an increase in business.

“There are a lot of plans to expand entertainment and residential areas down here, so I think [Plant 64] will help,” Bertrams said.

Plant 64 is located near the Innovation Quarter, a research park for biomedical science and information technology, according to the Innovation Quarter website. One of its missions is to “become a place where people are inspired to work, want to live, have an opportunity to learn and are able to play.”

While there are currently six housing buildings undergoing construction downtown, there are also two proposed residential buildings that together will house 220 units, according to the June Downtown Winston-Salem housing statistics.

“I think that in general, more people living downtown leads to more people using the services and business,” Thiel said. “It will be good for additional growth for services, retail and restaurants.”