Guidelines for Use
- The ITC Mini Studio must be reserved prior to usage.
- Food is not permitted in the ITC Mini Studio. Drinks in approved, closed containers will be allowed, but must remain away from the equipment cart at all times.
- The walls in the ITC Mini Studio are not sound proof, so noise should be kept to a reasonable level. Filming during high traffic times, such as lunchtime, in the Library ITC is not recommended.
- ITC is not responsible for files left on the ITC Mini Studio ThinkPad. It is recommended that you back up all data prior to leaving the ITC Mini Studio. CD-Rs are available for purchase at the Circulation Desk.
- All equipment should remain on the ITC Mini Studio equipment cart when not in use. The Camcorder and ThinkPad should remain on the cart at all times. While reserved, you are responsible for all equipment, so please treat with care.
The ITC Mini Studio has several pieces of equipment to help you create video content. Some include:
- Canon VIXIA HV30 High Definition Camcorder
- Lenovo ThinkPad T60p with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Windows Moviemaker 2
- Sony WCS-999 Wireless Microphone system as well as a wired microphone system
- Large screen display for PowerPoint and other presentations
- Decorative background and green screen capabilities
Anyone may reserve the ITC Mini Studio for use, and is located in the Information Technology Center (ITC) behind the staircase of the ZSR Library’s Wilson wing, second floor. Simply contact the ITC Desk, in person or by phone at ext. 4649, and ask to reserve the ITC Mini Studio. A student assistant or employee will reserve the room under your name for the allotment of time you desire.
Once you arrive, the ITC Student Assistant or one of the ITC Staff will open the room, set up the equipment, and help you get started filming.
An ITC Student Assistant or Staff Member will help in setting up the equipment cart, lighting, monitor projection, and background screens.
Studio lights are mounted on the ceiling, and should not be moved without permission of an ITC Staff member. Light controls are beside the door, a set of slider switches allowing the lights to be adjusted to optimal brightness. Once recording is finished, please make sure to turn the lights entirely off (the switches will click into place when fully off) in order to save energy.
The camcorder is mounted directly to the equipment cart, and is fully adjustable. It is also directly connected to the ITC Mini Studio ThinkPad through Firewire cable. If either end of the cable is not attached, please ask for assistance.
Please make sure the camera is set to the camera position before recording. To record footage, go to Adobe OnLocation, shortcut on the desktop. (Instructions for this program are provided) Use the preview window in this program, the camera LCD monitor, or the camera viewfinder to center and zoom in on the area to be filmed.
Wireless microphones should be clipped to the speaker, and the wireless receiver should be plugged into the camera’s microphone port. Both units should be turned on and set to the same channel. Adobe OnLocation will give you a preview of the incoming sound as well, so make sure to test the microphone settings before recording. To set up wired microphones, contact an ITC Staff member.
If you wish to use a background or green screen, please let the Student Assistant or Staff member know, and they will retrieve and set them up. In depth green screen instructions for Adobe Premiere Pro can be found at http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/premiere/articles/ppro15sdgrnscren.html
Capturing and Editing
Please see Quick guides for Adobe OnLocation (Capture) as well as Adobe Premiere Pro and Windows Moviemaker (Editing) for more detailed instructions.
Make sure to back up all of your data, including all raw footage, to a removable storage device, such as a CD-R or a Flash Drive. Shut down the ThinkPad and turn off any equipment used, such as the camera, microphone, microphone receiver, and monitor. Tell the ITC Student Assistant or Staff member you are finished, and allow them to put away the equipment cart and any other materials used. Please leave the room in an orderly fashion after use, placing the high chair and laptop stand back in the corner of the room, as well as fully turn off the studio lights.