Summer Entrepreneurial Experiences

Cultivating Culture

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:22 pm

In thinking about the “cultures” of the ventures I seek to develop, there is no simple definition, rather, the overall concept of evolution. I am reenergized through speaking to those who have a similar eye for innovation, and I highly value the pursuit of excellence, even when it means realizing I don’t have all of the answers myself. To that end, decisions are made based on consultation with my advisors or industry experts. While the power of the “gut feeling” should never be marginalized, I also find it extremely important to make informed decisions based on the best resources I have available. At the end of the day, I’m, along with my respective partners, are responsible for the direction of my companies, but I make these choices with careful consideration and never without the advice of those I am fortunate enough to have helping me along the way.

Teamwork is very important to me as a founder, but I also admit that each of my partners have unique skill sets and as such it would be trivial to insist that we always both contribute to every task. Since we share a similar vision, it’s easy to work independently to some extent without straying from our agreed objectives. The fact that I don’t share a physical workspace, or even live in the same state, makes some of our more collaborative tasks challenging and we have to work to make sure it isn’t an obstacle in getting things done the way we want them. I also make sure to review our progress as a team, so that we can decide how we need to adjust our respective tasks and determine who would be best suited for new ones. This affects the work environment because it places a great deal of responsibility on each of us- we certainly don’t want to let one another down and always strive to deliver more than expected.