Summer Entrepreneurial Experiences

WeWork Update #5

Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:22 pm

The past week we had our team off-site meeting for the enterprise division of WeWork. I was really excited for this meeting because it serves as a state of the union for the enterprise team. As a newer employee in a division of the company where the average tenure is less than 3 months, I thought it would be really exciting to learn more about how the company is organized and trying to position itself moving forward.

Our enterprise sales team is like a startup within a startup at WeWork. We are constantly learning on the fly and adding new employees. Looking around from my desk I can count at least 6 full time employees who have been here for less time than myself. I feel like a veteran! Although I’ve only been here for a short time, I’ve been asked to sit down with some of the new employees and train them on things that I’ve learned. This meeting served as a way to bring everyone up to speed and make sure that we’re all on the same page.

The director of the enterprise team discussed some changes that were going to be made to our team throughout the day. Roles were re-defined, goals were set, and structure was put into place. It was nice to see the team’s long term vision and goals – although I can only say so much, I am very excited to see how much this team will accomplish over the next twelve months.

Over the course of the day I also sold 15 more desks! I’m really starting to get the hang of sales, and am really enjoying the first-hand experience negotiating and working with customers. In my time spent at WeWork I’ve generated a fairly significant amount of revenue for the company, which is not something interns typically are given the opportunity to do.

At the end of the day we went out for a team dinner. This was also really fun as it allowed me an opportunity to interact with more of the team in a social setting outside of work. Today was a long day, but a great day nonetheless!