Summer Entrepreneurial Experiences

TapInfluence – Week 8

Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:08 pm

One of the big reasons why my supervisor was hired earlier this year as to build an attribution model for TapInfluence. The goal of an attribution model is to be able to track a lead’s journey throughout every interaction with our company. Once we obtain a leads basic information, we can track what reports they are downloading, which advertisements people are clicking on, which social media posts people interact with, and so on. An attribution tracks the user journey. For example, if a lead watched a webinar, downloaded one of our eBooks, talked with one of our Sales Reps, and then became a customer, we want to know the entire process they experienced and what happened to them in the end. As we track more leads, we are able to understand what the most effective methods that convert a lead to a customer. And TapInfluence is hungry for new customers.

My biggest project was taking all of these user journeys we tracked in Q2, and creating a report that showed the which methods made a lead became a customer. In a presentation to the CEO on my last day, me, my supervisor, and his boss presented our findings, what we learned, and our plan for the rest of the year. She was very receptive to our presentation and gave us better guidance on what she wants us to focus on moving forward. In sum, she pretty much affirmed that my supervisor and I are doing our jobs right. What a relief!

A couple factors went into getting me to where I am right now: an opportunity, luck, and hard work. It took about one week for me to learn about this opportunity, accept it, and figure out the logistics. I didn’t have a background in marketing operations, but I loved entrepreneurism and wanted to see what it was like at a startup. That being said, I needed to prove myself to be an asset to the team, not a liability. This is where some luck came in. The first half of luck was my supervisor (who was an awesome mentor) and the marketing team (who was incredibly fun to work with). I couldn’t have asked for a better team to work with. The second half was my role as a Marketing Operations Intern. My background in Finance taught me how cash flows through a company and where to invest. Marketing operations focuses on how people flow through the company and how we can develop relationships with them. Similar concept, but different approach. People are complex, and understanding how, why, what, when, and where they want to connect with TapInfluence is tough. I was lucky to be very interested in this area, but it was a steep two-fold learning curve. It took a lot of time and practice to understand the technical side of tracking and reporting leads, and then how we can create value to retain their interest.

A couple takeaways from this internship: I got loads of experience in a field I probably wouldn’t have been exposed to otherwise, I learned how to more effectively work in teams, I loved working in a fast-paced, startup environment, I get to continue working part-time with Tap, I got close with my extended family, and that I surpassed every expectation I had coming into this internship.

One Response to “TapInfluence – Week 8”

1. This was such a wonderful experience for you Quentin, and you contributed a lot of value to TapInfluence as well – which has led to you continuing to work there part-time, so congratulations! You are to be commended for broadening your horizons into marketing and applying your knowledge of financial operations to marketing operations as well!