Today started with a COSWL meeting, and finished with the Amtrak ride home. I’ve posted my COSWL notes over on the COSWL Cause blog.
Some general reflections from this conference:
- It is NOT worth it to stay in the dorms.
- It is less stressful to focus on meetings (rather than programs) if you have a lot of commitments.
- I rarely see anyone from WFU at these things! Thank goodness I could follow the blog posts, it was nice to “feel” like I was catching up with everyone.
- A lot of people aren’t familiar with women and gender issues in librarianship. If you have questions let me know–I’d love to chat! If you have any that are particularly pressing to you, let me know–I’d love to pass concerns on to the rest of the committee.
- It’s really nice once you’ve been involved in your committee for a little while. This was the first ALA conference where I really felt like I knew what I was doing and felt like I had a real purpose in being there. I also got really got re-energized around some of the social issues/freedom of information issues in a way that I haven’t at ALA before.
Despite the terrible logistics, the meetings were really good & I felt like I came away from doing something really useful. Nice conference, but also nice to be home!