The Business Information Commons is both the physical and the virtual home of business information in Farrell Hall. The physical space provides a comfortable, library-like atmosphere for individual study. The website of the Info Commons provides access to numerous business databases and several special services. The Info Commons is also home to business librarians Mary Scanlon and Bob Hebert, whose mission is to assist faculty and students with their research, teaching and classwork.
The Info Commons home page lists business and business-related databases accessible at WFU. These database links work both on and off campus. When you are off campus, you will be prompted to log into the WFU network with your login and password.
Some of the most popular business databases are:
- Business Source Complete: comprehensive collection of business magazines and journals. It provides indexing, abstracts and, for many articles, full text. Articles come from all kinds of business periodicals including academic, industry and practitioner journals as well as business news sources.
- LexisNexis: full text (HTML format) of articles from thousands of newspapers and magazines, transcripts of broadcast news programs and selected online content.
- IBISWorld Industry Profiles: comprehensive industry profiles covering 700 U.S. industries.
- Euromonitor Passport: full-text market research reports, market statistics and shorter, frequently updated “comments” on most major categories of consumer products.
Other databases include: the Bloomberg Professional, a high-level investment/trading information service, which is accessible on a dedicated terminal in Room 251E in the Info Commons, and the Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) family of financial/accounting databases (Compustat, CRSP, etc.), which require a special sign-up procedure.
Besides database links, the Info Commons site also has links to some helpful, easy-to-use services:
- ZSR Delivers: ZSR provides free delivery and pickup service to and from the offices of WFU faculty and staff.
- Interlibrary Loan: fill out a simple form for an item not accessible at Wake Forest and the ZSR Library Interlibrary Loan department will obtain it as quickly as possible and deliver it to your office or email it to you.
- Course Reserves: the Course Reserves department will take care of the whole process (including copyright permission) of putting a book, a chapter, an article or another item on reserve.
When you need assistance with your research or when your students need assistance with research related to your class, please contact Mary or Bob.