Reading lists abound during the summer months! Here are a few titles that have appeared on different lists, as well as links to other lists with even more recommendations! As always, you can find the newest additions to the ZSR collection on our new books page.
- The Cove: Set in the mountains of North Carolina, The Cove follows the story of the outcast Laurel during the years of World War I.
- The Song of Achilles: A retelling of The Illiad, focusing on the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus.
- Canada: By Pulitzer Prize Winner Richard Ford, the story of a family who robs a bank in the summer of 1960 and flees across the border into Canada.
- The Lower River: In Paul Theroux’s latest novel, a Peace Corp volunteer returns to the Malawian village where he volunteered decades earlier.
- Bringing Up the Bodies: Hilary Mantel’s sequel to Wolf Hall, set in the court of Henry VIII.
- Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power: MSNBC host Rachel Maddow discusses how the United States has moved into a state of perpetual war over the last 50 years.
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail: Memoir of hiking solo for 1,100 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Imagine: How Creativity Works: Investigates the science behind creativity.
- Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens: Didn’t get enough discussion of the transit of Venus a few weeks ago? Here’s the story of the 18th century scientists who worked on this major project.
- Shiloh 1862: The story of the Civil War battle in April 1862, just over 150 years ago, recounted by Winston Groom.
Other Summer Reading Lists
- Library Journal Genre Fiction Reading List: Gives current titles, as well as similar older books, in case the new ones are already checked out!
- Entertainment Weekly Books Page: Check out new reviews and author interviews here.
- New York Times Book Page: Bestseller lists and the latest reviews.
- Publisher’s Weekly Best of Summer: Best books in each genre.