Vufind has been live for just about 2 months now. In that time we have gotten 118 feedback emails detailing bug reports, enhancement requests, and personal opinions about the new system. It has been a busy fall for the systems staff and we are just now finishing up the fixes on a few of our big Vufind issues. One of our biggest problems has been consistent record updates. I am glad to report that we are now running daily loads into Vufind. We will shortly be introducing daily deletes as well. Full index regens still take 20 hours and we have yet to figure out exactly how frequently we need to do that. The full index regen time depends more on our record export, modification, and transfer from our Voyager system at the moment (Vufind takes about 3 hours to index the 1.6M records).
Our other major issue has been system stability. I appreciate how patient everyone has been while we iron out the issues that cause Vufind to go down so frequently. We are still working on this but hopefully have allocated enough RAM to the server and enabled the system to ‘clean-up’ after itself so that Vufind can remain responsive even during moderate load (fingers crossed – we have not had any downtime since the last modifications a week ago – many thanks to Jeremy Kindy for helping us work through this!). An interesting thing that IS found recently was that Google was responsible for 1/3 of our vufind traffic (we have now blocked their robot) :).
The Vufind community as recently created a new administrative organization and is working towards fixing many of the bugs that we have listed. When the community releases the official 1.0 release we will upgrade! In the mean time we will continue to work on our end and contribute back to the community where it is valuable. The list of enhancement requests, bugs, and fixed issues below represent all of the feedback that we have gotten so far. They are broken down into three categories, unresolved enhancement requests, unresolved bug reports, and resolved enhancement requests/bug reports.
- Would like to be able to see how many hold requests exist on an item in the new catalog
- Would like the new catalog to explicitly state which series or version an item is (example Mi-5 season 1,2,3)
- Add year into results listing
- Add journal option to basic search
- Add the ability to see 20, 40, 60 records per page
- Improve serial current issues display – right now it shows item level detail but not summary holdings
- Add ability to preserve certain facets (like library) when doing searching
- Add grouping to locations (All physical reference locations for example)
- Add the ability to click on call numbers for browsing
- Reduce the number of clicks to get to information
- Add data to the results screen including publisher information, dvd season info, pub place/date, etc
- Implement Spell Check
- Make subject headings work the same way that authors do – via listing at the top of the screen
- Make subject hierarchy work more consistently – united states history is a good example
- Add a new items feature to vufind, particularly by subject or call # range
- Would like to be able to replicate all brief record info in vufind
Bug Reports (Partially resolved or Unresolved)
- Location listing should be in alphabetical order, should be consolidated in certain cases (ref desk and reference for example) – still working on figuring this one out.
- Advanced Searching does not work with more than 2 terms, truncation proves to be problematic, further advanced searching returns inconsistent or known to be incorrect results when compared to the old catalog. One suggestion would be to remove advanced search and have advanced search link to the old catalog. There has been alot of discussion about how appropriate this. ..any thoughts? please leave comments!
- Item statuses in voyager not always reported as desired in Vufind (missing books showing up as lost), lost showing up as overdue. This is going to require some advanced item status processing in the Voyager driver and will take some time
- Date sorting not working as desired
- Recently received issues do not have a location? – We need some clarification on this
- Endnote Export not working
- “I hate vufind” – While a very real problem there is no specific bug fix for this. We may want to discuss re-introducing our “classic view” in a more prominent place to alleviate this issue
- Vufind does not always return what I search for – We have lots of reports of this. Sometimes Vufind has the record but it is not on the initial screen. In some other cases the record is not in the system. There are a few things we are working on here, first daily data loads will address recent titles. Second, we have a list of 22K records that did not import that we need to troubleshoot. Finally – we may need to think about the default search algorithm.
- Name authorities are not consistent, cary grant, shakespeare return different result counts from old catalog
- ISBN searching does not work (looks like vufind is not parsing out the – during indexing and as such needs it for the search
- Improve holds/recalls
- Catalog slows down/crashes under ‘heavy’ use – Some lib100 classes of 15 people have seen some slow response times – We have worked with IS to try to resolve these issues. We have increased the amount of RAM allocated to the system, tuned SOLR settings, and searched the logs for memory leaks. Hopefully this has been resolved.
- Call Number now shows at the top of every view of the record
- Library links not always proxied appropriately – Kevin implemented a workaround for now
- Ebooks now showing as available
- Military Science added as location
- Sometimes the 007 in items (item format) does not correspond to what the item actually is. These items should be reported when identified and will be fixed by cataloging
- Known items not always showing up – We have a number of specific reports here. In some cases this is due to a lag in indexing (still working on getting the connection between our two servers opened up) but in others the items were kicked out due to record errors.
- Call number searching should not include periods – makes it difficult – resolved
- Resources without Item records in catalog show incorrect status of Checked Out – We have a workaround for this but it requires addressing each location specifically in the code. If you still see errors please send them to me
- Collections not synchronized, items in old catalog not in new – daily updating is in place, working on daily delete. It currently takes 20 hours to re-index our catalog from scratch
- Wake Forest University facet limit does not return records (It is in essence a useless facet since everything in the db has this tag) – item removed from list.